“Are air purifiers that important?” That’s a question you may ask yourself. To be able to answer that, take a moment and look around. You’re always surrounded by smoke, fumes, dust, mold, pets’ hair and above all, viruses. So, there only one thing we should consider, and that is an air purifier, that can protect us and our family, it’s important. The best air purifier should be able to clean the air around you from all smoke, virus particles, and air pollution of all forms while keeping a comfortable quietness for you to be able to keep your air purifier on at all possible times.
Why Should You Trust Our Review?
After extensive research and reviewing experts and users’ feedback, we have collected for you the best air purifiers in this blog. In addition to that, we reviewed several expert opinions on whether air purifiers affect health and how they serve in a new era where people are looking to protect themselves from airborne viruses.
What Do Experts Say About the Benefits of Air Purifiers & Health Impacts?
According to a Boston Globe report, experts from Harvard University and the University of Colorado conducted a study to determine how air purifiers can help protect rooms from airborne viruses, and so they developed a downloadable calculator that determines how powerful an air purifier should be to keep kids classrooms safe from coronavirus.
Memo Cedeno Laurent, associate director of the study, says that HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters are guaranteed to capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles. Of course, other factors must be taken into consideration when choosing the best air purifier for you other than the filter type, like its performance, fan power, and room coverage. In the list below we offer reviews for several air purifiers with HEPA filters and different ranges of power and room coverage.
The 12 Best Air Purifiers Reviews
1. Alen BreatheSmart 75 I Air Purifier
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Dust, allergens, pollen, fur, pet dander, household odors PLUS smoke from cigarettes, wildfires, and VOC fumes from chemicals and aerosol sprays. Perfect for large rooms, offices, schools and open spaces.
- B7-FRESH FILTER: Has 3.6lbs of activated carbon to absorb smoke and toxic smells to help prevent respiratory issues.
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that captures 99.99% bacteria, aerosolized viruses, and airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. Includes a vacuumable prefilter to help increase filter life.
- 5 AIR QUALITY COLORS: A Laser Smart Sensor detects airborne particles and auto-adjusts with air quality changes. Blue = Excellent, Green = Good, Orange = Fair, Red = Poor, Purple = Bad air quality (high levels of particles).
- QUIETLY POWERFUL: Cleans 1300 SqFt every 30 minutes and captures airborne pollutants fast. Perfectly tuned to generate soothing pink noise - a frequency to help you sleep up to better.
This air purifier from ALEN is not a cheap buy, but after adding a certified HEPA filtration, which former models didn’t have, we can tell you that this is the big boy on the block. Despite being a heavy purifier (27 lbs) it is still less than other competitors that fall within the same class.
It is also important to mention that the 75i won awards through impressive publications such as Forbes and GQ.
With a 3-stage clean air filtration system, the ALEN 75i is very effective against pet odors, kitchen odors, dust, and micron as small as 0.3 microns, this might be one of the best air purifiers if you are looking to clean the air in big rooms, gyms, and high ceiling spaces.
Not everyone needs a purifier that is advanced and with that coverage, but if you are looking to cover a big room, or need an extremely heavy-duty filtration ability you need to look at this model as an option. Based on several reviews and tests upheld here are some pros and cons that you need to consider if you feel that this is the capacity you are looking for.
- Covers up to 1300 sq. ft. which makes it great for big spaces like gyms and open concept living spaces.
- Has medical-grade filtration covering 99.99% of particles down to 0.1 microns
- LED indicator showing the quality of air in the room at any given time.
- ALEN’s Lifetime guarantee
- Low energy consumption at 45 Watts at its highest speed
- Clean air delivery rate (CADR) of 347
2. ALEN BreatheSmart FLEX True HEPA Air Purifier
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Capturing dust, dander, small airborne particles, pet fur, and odors. Sleek design fits in any space from small to large rooms.
- B4-PURE FILTER: Standard filter that helps capture asthma and allergy triggers.
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that captures 99.99% airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. True HEPA filters last 3-5 months longer than standard filters.
- CLEANS AIR FAST: Cleans 700 SqFt every 30 minutes, twice as fast as key competitors on Turbo speed. Perfect for any space from small to extra large bedrooms, living rooms, offices, nurseries, kitchens, and basements.
- SLEEP MODE: Features a “lights out mode”, press the power button once and the lights turn off. SleepScore validated and users feel more rested upon waking. rested the morning.
- LOW ENERGY CONSUMPTION: 50 Watts on Turbo speed. Lowest setting will use less than 50 cents a month in electricity.
- EPA Establishment Number 100879-CHN-1. CARB Certification Number G-17-008
Another great model from ALEN is the ALEN BreatheSmart FLEX with true HEPA (H13) air cleaning performance; this model combines great cost, purifying performance, and coverage.
With 14 color options, the ALEN BreatheSmart FLEX is more considered as an entry-level mid-range air purifier at 349$. Other than the sleek design and impressive color range this model boasts several features and might be your next pick you.
The ALEN BreatheSmart FLEX air purifier may not be a legitimate low-budget air purifier but it has cool features such as, LED indicator for filter replacement and child lock function in addition to a timer function that might come in hand.
Moreover, the BreatheSmart FLEX is a sleep-score validated purifier for better sleep and fewer nighttime allergens with whisper-quiet function producing soothing pink noise for 25% better sleep. Perhaps ALEN’s greatest strong point is the excellent customer service and lifetime guarantee deal.
The ALEN BreathSmart FLEX is a great choice for people with a large room and needs a large coverage since it covers up to 700 sq. ft. Moreover, it’s a good choice for people with asthma or allergies thanks to its True HEPA filter, and combined with the other filtration stages it is a great choice for pet owners who are looking to fight fur shedding in the households.
- True HEPA (H13) air cleaning performance.
- Five basic function buttons
- Relatively low weight at 15 lbs
- 99% score for trapping particles down to 0.3 microns
- 3 extra filtration levels:
-HEPA is fresh with an activated carbon filter for extra odors and light smoke.
-HEPA silver antimicrobial silver ion threads making it a good air purifier for mold
-HEPA OdorCell with Alen’s Molecular Conversion Powder, which can destroy the odors on a molecular level.
- 700 sq. ft. room coverage
- CADR of 245 CFM
3. IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier
- Unrivaled Performance: The HealthPro Plus is the #1 Rated room air purifier for homes, offices, schools, hospitals, industrial, and commercial sites. Has received more top reviews and awards than any other air purifier. Chosen by the Hong Kong Hospital Authority for both SARS-CoV-1 & SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Superior airflow with the 320-degree EvenFlow Diffuser efficiently filters all the air in large rooms and bedrooms numerous times an hour.
- Medical Grade H14 HyperHEPA Filter: Proven and certified by a third-party testing lab to remove and trap 99.995% of all airborne particles down to 0.003 microns, the HealthPro Plus supplies unequaled protection against bacteria, dust, mold, pollen, pet dander, smoke from wildfires, odors, harmful chemicals like formaldehyde, and more. True HEPA filtration.
- Long Lasting & Cost-Efficient Filters: Three different filters clean the air four different ways. Pre-filter traps coarse particles. Activated carbon adsorption and pelletized chemisorption filter odors and gasses. HyperHEPA traps fine and ultrafine particles. Long-lasting filters – 16 to18 months for the pre-filter, 2 years for the gas and odor filter, 3 years, 9 months to 4 years, 2 months for the HyperHEPA filter - helps save money over the air cleaner’s lifetime, and more eco-friendly.
- Energy Saving and Ultra-quiet Air Cleaner: The HealthPro Plus emits ultra-quiet, low-decibel sound across all four fan speeds. The fan-in-center design places the motor between sound-reducing filters. Doubled-walled housing limits sound. Rubber suspension pads isolate motor vibration from the air cleaner housing. EvenFlow Diffuser deflects sound back into the system. Powerful fan uses only as much electricity as a conventional light bulb, amounting to pennies per day to operate.
- Certified Performance: Each HealthPro Plus air purifier is made in Switzerland and individually tested for total system efficiency. If the system is not delivering 99.97% cleaner air or better, it does not get shipped. The results of the tests are detailed in a hand-signed Certificate of Performance. Every system comes with a 10-year limited warranty. Direct purchases from the manufacturer will require a signature to acknowledge receipt upon delivery. CARB EO # G-10-059.
Another high range option is the Swiss-made HealthPro Plus series from IQAir. The HealthPro Plus uses HyperHEPA filtration technology for excellent particle removal. It is also certified by a third-party lab for an independent testing result from that of the company.
Perhaps its most impressive feature is the 99.5% ultrafine particle filtration down to 0.003 microns that is 100 times smaller than the regular 0.3 microns particle size in competitor models. This makes the HealthPro Plus a great choice for people with asthma.
At 899$ the HealthPro Plus from IQAir may be more expensive than other similar models from other brands, but on the plus side it does not have extra charges for filter upgrades and filter life is fairly longer than others (18months to 4 years varying depending on each filter).
It has one of the best recommendations for asthma triggers and odors smell and can cover up to 1125 sq. ft. making it a great option for gyms, large kitchens, and living spaces.
- Designed to remove allergens, asthma triggers, chemicals and odors, and tobacco smoke.
- Filters 99.5% particles down to 0.003 microns in addition to odors and gases
- Long filter life
- 6-speed options
- 10 years warranty on parts and labor
4. Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Purifier
Winix air purifiers are good candidates for top performers. The Korean-based company aims with this particular model to service pet owners making the Winix 9500 a great air purifier for pets. Considering its features like PlasmaWave technology and different sensors we can say that the 329$ official price tag isn’t bad for a mid-range air purifier.
The Winix 9500 air purifier is a great performer overall, it’s great for pets and has an impressive performance rate for mid-sized rooms, not to mention it has a good energy consumption rate over its lifetime. If it suits your needs and room size it is a good choice with a great value and durable build.
- Timer function
- Large LCD display
- The 5-stage air filtration process
- Ionizer function
- True HEPA filter and PlasmaWave technology
- Captures 99.93% of particles down to 0.3 microns
- Carbon filter for odor protection from household and pets odors
- CADR (clean air delivery rate) of 194
- Room coverage up to 290 sq. ft,
5. Blue Pure 311 Auto Air Purifier
- AUTO ADJUSTS SO YOU CAN REST EASY: One touch auto mode uses a particle sensor to monitor pollutant levels and adjusts fan to ensure optimal air quality; LED indicator displays air quality status as excellent (blue), moderate (orange) or polluted (red)
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers more clean air using less noise and energy than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 388sqft medium room in about 12.5 min or up to 1862qft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIETEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (23 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (3W) than an LED lightbulb on low so it’s kind to your wallet and the planet
- ASTHMA & ALLERGY: Removes 99.99% of pollen, helping reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (<5 ppb) by Intertek Sustainability Program; Trusted Education Partner of British Health Professional Academy
If you are looking for a portable air purifier then this is a great candidate. After reading several reviews and comparing models within the same size and price range the Blue Pure 311 Auto is a very impressive portable HEPA filtration unit. At 6.8 lbs it is considered a great choice for bedrooms and dorms considering that the best sleep comes from clean filtered air but with equal importance of the quiet operation.
- Auto mode
- Captures 99.97% of particles down to 0.1 microns
- certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM)
6. Winix C535 PlasmaWave Technology Air Purifier
The Winix C535 is a great choice for anyone looking for a cheap air purifier. The Korean company produced this air purifier for consumers looking for low-budget air best purifiers without downgrading on filtration quality. In addition to that, it boasts impressive features with few drawbacks.
- PlasmaWave technology
- LED air quality indicator using smart sensor
- 4 lbs
- 3-stage filter process with true HEPA capturing 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns.
- Certified activated carbon filters for odor control
- 360 sq. ft. room coverage
- Auto mode
- Remote controlled and filter change LED indicator
7. Winix C545 Air Cleaner
This air purifier is a similar version to the Winix C535, but with more cool tech-features. It is an all-around good-performing budget air purifier when it comes to performance, power, and additional features. When compared to other similar brands I find it the best air purifier in its class especially if you are interested in smart features.
So to sum up, the Winix C545 is an overall well-rounded air purifier. At $219, I think it’s a better model than the C535, with its sleek design and additional feature, and remote smartphone connectivity it’s a nice choice for mid-sized rooms with a great air filtration performance with 99.97% capturing of particles down to 0.3 microns with impressively low operation noise at 28 dB (lower than a whisper).
- A 4-stage air filtration system
- Alexa compatible
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Verified by AHAM
- 360 sq. ft. room coverage
- Controlled with a Smartphone
- Auto mode and air quality indicator
- Filter replacement indicator
8. Winix HR1000 Wi-Fi Enabled Air Purifier
The Winix HR1000 has a sleek design and the specs to back it up. The features, performance, and certification make it a great candidate for mid-range air purifiers.
The Winix HR1000 is a true competitor when put aside brands with similar range and power, it’s also very quiet (26.4 dB) so it’s a great choice for offices and large bedrooms. With all the smart features available it might just be the best air purifier when comparing coverage and price along with features and noise.
At 379$ what are the features and abilities that this air purifier has? After comparing several reviews and user feedbacks we concluded this model’s features along with its pros and cons.
- 5-stage filtration system
- True HEPA filter
- Activated carbon filter for odor control
- PlasmaWave technology
- 400 sq. ft. room coverage
- 4 fan speed
- A smart sensor that automatically changes speed as it senses dust and particles
- Child lock
- Wi-Fi connectivity and smart app control
- Timer and filter change indicator
- Captures 99.95% of particles 0.3 microns and larger
9. Winix C555 Filtration System Air Purifier
At 259$ the Winix C555 is considered a great performer within its price range if you consider the performance and features that the Korean company offers, even though it’s a bit more expensive than the Winix C535, it offers a 5-stage filtration system with some additional goodies to go with it. So let’s take a look at the specs and features of this model.
So in short, we can notice that the Winix C555 is very similar to the Winix C535 but offers a more advanced filtration system through its 5 stages thus also making it an air purifier for mold and fungi and anti-bacterial cleaning. Through comparing feedback and reviews we think it’s a great upgrade to its predecessor the C535.
- Pre-filter🡪anti-bacterial treatment🡪 True HEPA filter🡪activated carbon filter 🡪Winix PlasmaWave
- Air purifier for mold and fungi
- 99.95% of particles down to 0.3 microns captured
- 360 sq. ft. room coverage
- 28 dB noise level (quiet range)
- Smart sensor indicating air quality and filter replacement indicator.
- Auto mode
- Remote controlled
10. Craftronic NanoActive Car Air Purifier
- ✅ POWERFUL AIR PURIFIER – Craftronic NanoActive Ionic Air Purifier releases up to 5.6 million of negative ionizers, remove PM2.5 particle, deodorize odor, bacteria, dust, formaldehyde, cigarettes smoke and gases (VOCs). Eliminate airborne element that increase allergy and asthma while restoring skin hydration and boost immune system.
- ✅ PROVEN TECHNOLOGY – Negative Air(NAIs) technology widely use in auto vehicles brand like Mercedes-Benz's cars Air Balance Ionization freshener system. Lexus vehicle with Panasonic's Nano-e and Sharp's Plasmacluster in commercial air conditioner & refrigerator that proven to prevent mold & maintain food freshness longer. The natural light scent of ozone smell similar to a summer rain shower in your automobile.
- ✅ 28 DAY HEALTH BENEFITS – Just plugin the portable sanitizer generator device to car lighter port to start cleanse and neutralize germs, airborne pollutants, disease and allergens. Feel the improvement in your energy & general health in 28 days. (Note: We do not guarantee immediate results, but you can definitely feel the health benefits over longer period of usage)
- ✅ COMPLETELY REDESIGNED – The 2020 ionizer model features an upgraded charger & purifiers that diffuse a full 5.6 million negative ions per cm³ - for a 17% faster cleaning time than ever before & Dual Charge Qualcomm 2.0 fast charging USB ports. The blue LED glow, indicate the sanitizing process while enhance your mood and cabin interior.
- ✅ 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE – We stand by our product with 2-year warranty, 90 days money-back & lifetime tech support. Any issues and we will replace a new one and make things right for you. Craftronic is a registered trademark of Equinox Technology Inc, products are CE, FCC, RoHs Certified.
We decided to add one more type of air purifier to this list that is a car air purifier. The reasons are that many people look for an ideal personal ionizer. After comparing several reviews and user feedbacks we found the Craftronic NanoActive car air purifier is the best Car air purifier out there. This portable ionizer uses negative ionic air technology which is used by Mercedes-Benz Lexus Panasonic, and Sharp.
- Releases up to 5.6 million negative ions
- Removes VOCs, bacteria, dust, and cigarette smoke
11. Levoit LV-H132 Air Purifier
- OZONE-FREE FILTRATION: Safe is top priority! UV-C light purification methods can produce high levels of ozone that can be harmful to children, asthma patients, and pets. This air purifier only uses premium filtration, so you can experience clean, healthy air with Levoit
- SAY GOODBYE TO POLLUTED AIR: Have you ever seen what comes out of your vents, from heating and air conditioning? Even inside, you're under attack by so many pollutants! This air purifier uses 3-stage H13 True HEPA Filtration to trap dust, pet dander, pollen, and more. End the suffering, with the finest air purifier in its class
- BEST-SELLING BRAND: Brand in the US, LV-H132 has been chosen by 958,256 customers across 9 countries. Levoit cares about your thoughts and never use fake reviews, so you can trust what you see
- Official Levoit Filters: Search for B06XD7X81D or LV-H132-RF to find the Levoit Personal True HEPA Replacement Filter. Levoit replacement filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- ALWAYS HIGH-QUALITY: Everyone deserves to feel refreshed and safe at home.
- WHISPER-QUIET: Trying to sleep with rattling or loud humming noises coming from your air purifier. With noise levels as low as 25dB, this air purifier is so quiet, you can run it throughout the night and sleep soundly
- CLEAN AIR AROUND THE HOUSE: Quickly refresh the air in rooms as large as 129 ft² in 15 minutes. No matter where you spend the most time at home, enjoy fresh air in any room
- USTOMIZE YOUR EXPERIENCE: Prefer to sleep with a night light? Select from two night light brightness settings to create your perfect sleep environment
- SAVE ENERGY, SAVE MONEY: Sticking to a budget? No problem! This air purifier filters the air without using UV-C light, reducing its energy consumption to just 28W. Operating at its highest fan speed 24/7, running this air purifier can cost less than $3 per month!
Considered Amazon’s best air purifier with a 4.5/5 rating, the American company has managed to stay on top of the air purifier lists on several platforms. If you are considering buying a cheap air purifier this is a great model to consider. with a sleek cylindrical design and a 5 function mode, this portable air purifier might be the right pick for you.
so the LV-H132 is a great portable air purifier option, at an 89$ price tag, it’s a very good choice considering the filtration system it boats and odor control through the carbon activated filter.
- Black and white color options
- Three-stage filtration system
- True HEPA filter with pre-filter and carbon activated filter for odor control
- 129 sq. ft. room coverage
- Nightlight function
12. WINIX HR900 Ultimate Pet 5 Stage Air Purifier
This purifier from the Korean company Winix is considered the best air purifier for pets according to several reviews and customer feedback. With dual filtration and a powerful fan build, it is considered a great choice for pet owners. The Winix HR900 can control pet allergies using its true HEPA filter, pet hair with a washable pre-filter, and pet odors with its activated carbon filter.
- Winix PlasmaWave technology
- Captures 99.5% of particles down to 0.3 microns
- 300 sq. ft. room coverage
- Quiet performance (26 dB)
- Smart sensor
- Auto mode speed adjustment
- Light sensor to adjust ambient light
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do the best air purifiers do?
Not to be mistaken by air cleaners and air humidifiers, air purifiers use a series of filters (2 to 5 stages) to actually trap down particles in the room’s air. Depending on the number and types of filters added, they can capture allergens, dust, smoke, pet hair, and fungi particles.
This should be a very important factor when choosing the best air purifier that suits you whether you are looking for the best air purifier for pets, or the best air purifier for molds, or a portable air purifier for your car or your bedside.
What does a true HEPA filter mean?
HEPA is an acronym for high-efficiency particulate air, these types of certified filters let as few air particles as possible but without obstructing rapid airflow. HEPA filters capture particles down to 0.3 microns big, and hyper HEPA filters (the more advanced variation) can capture particles as small as 0.01 microns which is even smaller than a virus.
What is the best air purifier to combat asthma?
It is important to state that even the best air purifiers will not cure or eradicate asthma. With that said, air purifiers will prevent asthma symptoms by trapping out allergens and dust particles that worsen asthma.
The best air purifier for people suffering from asthma is purifiers with true HEPA filters which trap out extremely small particles, and an activated carbon filter that controls odors and gaseous pollutants. You can also invest in a portable HEPA filtration unit to use in the car or bedside table.
Will my air purifier work if I have the doors and windows open?
Generally speaking, yes, your air purifier will purify your air regardless of whether you have your windows open. However, keeping your room windows or doors closed will increase the effectiveness of your air purifier since no new allergens, dust, or pollutants will be able to come in.
Do you really need a smart air purifier?
Generally speaking, if you constantly run your air purifier you don’t really need WIFI connectivity, this is a particularly useful feature if you work for long hours or leave your house for several days and may need to start your air purifier periodically and not constantly. However, other smart options like air quality sensors that will start and stop your air purifier are useful features and may help save you money on electricity and let your air purifier perform efficiently.
What is the best air purifier for me?
There is no right answer to this broad question. Through this blog, we aimed to highlight the difference between the best air purifier models and levels as well as ranges and applications. After determining the space and type of room you want to purify you will be able to decide which is the best air purifier for you.
With this consistent improvement and enhancement in technology, the best air purifier options are endless. From HEPA air purifiers to Air purifiers for mold to personal and portable air purifiers, there are several factors to consider. If you have pets you need air purifiers for pets with multi-stage filtration. If you are looking to prevent mold you air purifiers for mold and fungi with anti-bacterial qualities.
On the other hand, portable and personal ionizers for cars and bedrooms are also something to consider. With this blog, you will be able to know what model is best for you. But certainly, we believe that the best way to maintain a healthy atmosphere whether in your bedroom or car or gym or kitchen is through investing in the best air purifier that fits your needs! You won’t regret it!