If you own a CenturyLink Internet Service it is obvious that you would have trusted the modem or router the company provides. However, in reality, the modem provided by your ISP tends to become increasingly costly due to the monthly rent when you can go for various other options. These options are not only cost-effective but provide a host of different features that can benefit your internet experience. Various routers come as a combo with a built-in modem such as the Motorola MD1600, which can lead to space-saving and most importantly cost savings as well. If you are a CenturyLink Fiber customer, then a modem is not what the unique technology requires. Rather, we have reviewed various routers and discovered which router is best for such customers as well.
It is also important to understand that a DSL connection provides a much more secure connection as well. This is because in the situation of using your router-modem you get a separate phone line that you do not have to share with various unknown users. These unknown users are present in case you use cable lines which put your data security at stake.
8 Best DSL Modem for Centurylink
CenturyLink DSL is available widely and therefore if you have such a DSL connection you may get connected to high-speed internet before you know about it. So for all the buyers, who are getting confused as to which router or router-modem combo or a modem is best for their usage and their needs, we have got you covered.
Our detailed buyer’s guide along with a list of the best DSL modem for CenturyLink and routers is enough for you to provide sufficient knowledge so that you purchase only what is best and suits your requirements.
1. Linksys EA7500 Dual-Band Wifi Router for Home
- Provides up to 1,500 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 15+ wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys App
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- Dual band Wi-Fi speeds up to 1.9 Gaps (2.4 GHz/ 600 Mbps) + (5 GHz/ 1300 Mbps). Minimum system requirements - Internet Explorer versions 8 and newer, Safari 5 (for Mac), Firefox 8, Google Chrome
- MU MIMO (Multi User Multiple Input Multiple Output) provides Wi-Fi to multiple devices at once, at the same high speed
The best CenturyLink modem router that you can purchase is the Linksys ES7500. It is loaded with some top-notch features at a reasonable price. It is highly durable and is a great option for gaming or video streaming. It is a dual-band router that supports wi-fi speeds up to 1.9 Gaps and a buffer-free video or gaming experience. It has the innovative MU MIMO feature as well that supports the same high Wi-Fi speed on multiple devices without any lags. Customers have lauded the ease in installation that this router provides.
There is no need for any installation CD and just plugging the router to a power source and connecting it to the Internet Modem is enough to start your ultimate experience using the Linksys EA7500 Router. Ease of installation comes along with ease of access and usage as well as the customer can easily manage his network through a dedicated Mobile App. Overall, a great router possessing unmatched quality and brilliant features. Its specifications are:
- Has a range of over 1500 sq. ft. Wi-Fi Coverage
- Can support more than 15 devices
- Linksys App available for set up and managing devices on the network
- No CD required for installation
- MU MIMO technology for high speed on all devices
- 5 Ethernet ports and 4 LAN ports
2. MOTOROLA MD1600 DSL Modem AC1600 Gigabit Router
- IMPORTANT: BE SURE TO CONTACT YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER BEFORE purchasing this product. MODEL MD1600 DOES NOT WORK WITH BONDED VDSL, BONDED ADSL, OR VDSL VECTORING. PLEASE READ THE CHECKLIST IN THE PRODUCT IMAGES BEFORE PURCHASING. If you’re still not sure whether you have the right type of DSL service, MODEL MD1600 IS NEVER COMPATIBLE with Verizon, AT&T services, Comcast, Charter Spectrum, Cox, or other cable services.
- MD1600 IS A GREAT CHOICE for many non-bonded/non-vectoring ADSL AND VDSL SERVICES FROM FRONTIER, WINDSTREAM, TDS TELECOM, AND FAIRPOINT. It combines a VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem with a full-featured AC1600 WiFi Gigabit Router to provide fast Internet to all your WiFi and Ethernet devices. DSL services use your home telephone wiring. Supplying your own modem typically saves $9.99 in modem rental fees; savings vary depending on service provider.
- BUILT-IN ROUTER INCLUDES 4 GIG-E PORTS, AC1600 WIRELESS, a firewall, WPA/WPA2 wireless security, IPv4 and IPv6 support, and Virtual Private Network (VPN) capability. You can plug a USB storage device into the USB 2.0 host port for Network Attached Storage (NAS) which supports DLNA Media Sharing.
- CLEAN AND EASY. This DSL modem/router combo saves space, reduces wires, and includes a setup wizard for fast, easy installation. Delivers Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps; speeds depend on the speed of your VDSL or ADSL Internet service. The MD1600 provides a high-speed Internet link for all your wireless and Ethernet devices including smartphones, HDTVs, computers, tablets, game stations, and more.
- MD1600 IS SUPPORTED by expert, friendly customer support specialists in the US with a 2-year warranty from a company you trust
A close contender for the top position is the Motorola MD1600 router that is sleek-looking and compact, making it a real space saver. It is a Modem/Router combo that is offered by a trustable brand – Motorola which provides a 2-year warranty and great customer support. Customers have reported a comfortable and hassle-free experience with the Motorola MD1600. The best part is the easy installation wizard that makes setup an issue of no worry or trouble. It can support internet speed up to 100 Mbps which is more than enough to support all our home needs.
It also supports DLNA Media Sharing across various devices on the network because of the USB 2.0 host port that is provided on the router. It is a great option for those who wish to ensure continued trust and durability because of the long warranty period and the trustable Motorola brand name. It has brilliance in quality and performance. Its specifications are:
- 4 GIG E ports and VPN capability
- Supports DLNA Media sharing across multiple devices
- Setup Wizard ensures quick installation
- In-Built Modem with VDSL2 or an ADSL2+ service
3. CenturyLink Technicolor C2000T DSL Modem Router
Another great option for CenturyLink users is the CenturyLink Technicolor C2000T. It uses Wireless N technology that provides improved signals and a wider range to make sure your internet experience is always convenient and free from any troubles. There is a firewall along with WEP encryption that ensures the internet data is safe and secured.
The CenturyLink C2000T also provides Voice over IP or simply the telephone service as well for residential or home users. The main reason why this modem router combo is ideal for using mixed DSL and fiber-based networks is that it has a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet flexible WAN/LAN port and DSL WAN sensing. These are some highly beneficial features that make CenturyLink Technicolor C2000T a great option if you are looking for a CenturyLink modem router.
However, a drawback is the absence of the latest 802.11AC wireless standard. This modem router uses the 802.11N Wi-Fi standard. Despite this, the modem router can easily support high-speed internet and ensure your streaming does not have any buffer or lags. Thus, a quality product suitable for home needs. Its specifications are:
- 4 GE LAN ports
- Ethernet cord is provided inside the package
- 802.11N Wi-Fi Standard
- Firewall and WEP encryption ensure proper safety
- Telephone services i.e. VoIP also available
- Bonded ADSL 2+
4. Centurylink Prism TV Technicolor C2100T
This modem comes with an affordable price tag along with a strong and reliable build. It has a 2.4GHz band that provides quite a good performance but when it comes to 5GHz then there is no signal drop or any type of interference and you would have no complaints regarding it. It comes with standards-based WPS that simplifies secure WLAN setup and Dual Ethernet firewalls through which it identifies and manages malicious applications or content. It can support 300Mbps speed which is a pretty good speed. It includes Gigabit Ethernet WAN port which allows single CPE on either DSL or GPON network.
The gigabit Ethernet WAN port, when operating in DSL mode can work as a 5th gigabit LAN port. It also features 802.11n wireless technology with 2T x 2R antennas which provides the ultimate speed, wide-coverage, and reduce dead zones. It supports WPA2/WEP/WPA and a hardware WPS button which allows the customer for easy setup. With the help of TR-069 remote management, it provides DSL forum complaints to ensure faster deployment for service providers, and one can easily monitor, manage, or provision their device. Its specifications are:
- Dual-band modem router combo
- 802.11N Wi-fi Standard
- TR-069 System for convenient management and control over your network
- WPA2/WEP/WPA Encryption for security
- Supports speed up to 300 Mbps
Read Also: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Modem Router Review
5. Zyxel C1100Z VDSL2 Wireless Gateway CenturyLink
The Zyxel C1100Z wireless gateway router is based on VDSL2 standards that offer fast access to the internet with enough bandwidth to surf the internet. The router is easy to set up with a pretty neat modem. Its TR-069 remote management provides DSL forum compliant to ensure faster deployment for service providers. The Zyxel C1100Z is built to reach a super-fast speed of 300Mbps for heavy multimedia use such as streaming online games, audio, video, etc. It also provides you with IPv6 and dual-stack support with secure WLAN setup and 2Tx2R antennas to give ultimate speed and wide coverage for better performance.
It uses the latest VDSL2 technology and is super affordable providing you with dual Ethernet firewalls to secure your content and identify malicious applications and content from the outside sources. Zyxel is certified as an IPv 6 vendor for over 3 years and a global provider of equipment supporting dual stack P-networks. The C1100Z also supports WPA/WEP/WPA2 and a hardware WPS button allowing the customer for easy setup. It provides you with a better range than other modems, this small investment can lead to a huge improvement in your network. Its specifications are:
- 802.11N Wireless standard
- Supports up to 300 Mbps high-speed internet
- WPS Button for quick installation
- Trustable brand name
- 2Tx2R antennas provide stability of the connection
- WPA/WEP/WPA2 Encryption for safety
6. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router
- Fast Wi-Fi performance: Get up to 3500 square feet wireless coverage with AC4000 speed (Tri-band up to 750 + 1625 + 1625 Mbps).
- Recommended for up to 55 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a dual core 1.8GHz processor, 6 amplified antennas, Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more.
- USB connections: Share a storage drive and printer with any connected device, and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1x3.0 and 1x2.0 USB ports.
- Smart parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free. Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for 4.99 dollars per month (1st month free trial).
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
If you have an expansive budget and want a fully feature-loaded modem router then Netgear Nighthawk is the best for you. It is a tri-band router with a large 3500 sq. ft. area coverage. It is an impressive router that can support a huge maximum number of 55 devices at the same time. It supports maximum internet speed up to 4000 Mbps and 4K video streaming quality. This is a brilliant feature especially for gaming fanatics or those who stream live video and audio. There are 4-gigabit ports for the enhanced speed of your internet and these are more than enough. There is a dedicated application that allows you to set up the router easily in just 5 minutes.
Another mobile application, called the Circle App comes with a parental control feature to manage internet usage and even limit the single device internet screen time. This router removes the need to have anti-virus protection for your devices. The built-in NETGEAR Armor multi-layer security software protects your devices from malicious programs. In a nutshell, the Netgear Nighthawk X6S is a complete package but can be a bit expensive. Its specifications are:
- Nighthawk app for easy installation
- Up to 55 devices capacity
- Maximum 4000 Mbps internet speed support
- 3500 sq. ft. internet coverage area
- Tri-Band Gigabit Technology
7. TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all WiFi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming
- 3 external antennas for long range WiFi
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, Ideal as a gaming router
- Integrated USB port acts as a media Server, easily share your USB drive content
- TP-Link tether app easily set up and remotely manage your home network
- Industry leading 2 year and Free 24-7 technical Support
A brilliant and totally value for money router is the TP-Link AC1750. It is a smart Wi-Fi router that is available at an affordable price and performs well beyond customer expectations. It has also been awarded the JD Power Award for customer satisfaction. It is a dual-band router and supports up to 1750 Mbps of internet speed. At the same, it has three antennas that ensure wide internet area coverage. The USB port has been integrated that allows seamless sharing of media across different devices on the network.
It is ideal to be used as a gaming router as well and this type of quality along with such great features is almost unimaginable. Overall, a great router that delivers far more than its price. Its specifications are:
- Can be connected with Alexa and Smart Home services
- 802.11AC Wireless Standard
- 4K Streaming possible and High-Speed Internet Supported
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports
- TP-Link App allows for convenient tethering and provides you control over your network
8. Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N ADSL Modem Router
This router is compatible only with the ADSL Service of CenturyLink and not their VDSL Service. This is a great router that can auto-detect the customer’s specific settings and comes with the promise of an easy setup process. It can support up to 300 Mbps of internet speed and has the 802.11N wireless standard. It has an inbuilt firewall as well that can protect your laptops and PCs against malicious cyber-attacks.
Another brilliant feature is backward compatibility that helps ensure that devices with older wireless standards also get connected. It is undoubtedly a great option if you have a restricted budget and even though the Actiontec Router is a bit cheap, still no compromise is made on its performance and quality. Its specifications are:
- Not compatible with VDSL Service
- 802.11 N Wireless Standard
- Maximum 300 Mbps internet speed support
- 4 port switch and 1 ADSL Port
- Supports Backward Compatibility
Choosing the Best DSL Modem – Buying Guide
Purchasing the best DSL modem can be a technical task that would not be understood by many. So, to help you purchase the best DSL Modem that suits your requirements, here are a few considerations to make before purchasing a model for CenturyLink DSL:
- Usage Size and Pattern: You must find out the number of devices you will connect. It must also be decided beforehand that what is your internet usage for. If you are into streaming videos or live gaming sessions then purchase a router that supports high internet speed and does not lag during times of heavy internet load
- Compatibility: This is the most important factor to consider. The different types of DSL Services are ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, and VDSL and it is of paramount importance to confirm with your ISP if your router is compatible with their service
- Technological Considerations: You must purchase the latest technology router so that it doesn’t get outdated soon. For example, single-band routers are not purchased a lot and therefore, only purchase the latest and technologically advanced products. You may also purchase a router that has regular firmware updates
- Durability and Reliability: Always look out for DSL Modems that can last longer and have sufficient warranty period so that in case of any issues you can contact the customer support. If your modem is of low quality, it will be a waste of time and money to constantly get it repaired.
- Price Considerations: If your usage is basic like surfing the internet and mails, etc. You might not be willing to purchase an expensive modem router. However, if you are into gaming and have live streams once in every 2-3 days, it might be correct for you to invest in a powerful router. Thus, your needs and budget must be decided beforehand.
- How to Get Free Computers for Seniors
- How To Use Third-Party Approved Modems with Comcast Xfinity
- How to Get WiFi at Home without Cable
- How to Get WiFi without Internet Provider
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I get a new modem from CenturyLink?
If you are returning your modem due to any issue such as if it was on a lease or any technical issue then you must log in to My CenturyLink post the return has been made. Since you are already an internet user with CenturyLink you will have the option of purchasing a new modem. You are then redirected to their customer support team which will provide you adequate directions telling as to what next you have to do.
What is the best DSL modem for CenturyLink?
As per our recommendation, for DSL Modem – Motorola MD1600 is the best option you can go for. But the rest of the modems available on our list are great products and suit a variety of customers and their needs. Thus, it is advised to first make sure what specifications you require and then purchase the modem that caters to all such needs at the best price and durable quality.
How can I make my CenturyLink DSL faster?
This can be done in a variety of ways, some of which are:
- Consider turning some of your devices off for sometime
- Verify if smart devices and audio player or movie streaming applications are completely stopped and not only paused
- Reduce VPN usage
- Reduce downloading and uploading of files for sometime
- If it is not your internet, but the Wi-Fi that is causing the trouble the consider purchasing a Wi-Fi Extender kit to increase the signal coverage area
Where to buy a CenturyLink DSL modem?
You may purchase these routers from the CenturyLink website; however, they will provide only certain DSL Modems that they promote. If you wish to purchase a different modem such as those provided by Motorola or NetGear, you may purchase them from sites such as Amazon after checking their compatibility with your Internet Service Provider.
What modems are compatible with CenturyLink DSL?
Although a detailed list of compatible modems is available on the CenturyLink website but is advised that you do complete research before making the purchase. Actiontec, Zyxel, etc. are some modems that are promoted by CenturyLink but the Motorola MD1600 is a great option and surely compatible.
We have presented a detailed review of the performance and capabilities of the best CenturyLink DSL modems. We have discovered that the Motorola MD 1600 is the best for DSL, however, the Linksys EA7500 is the best router for CenturyLink. In case you operate on the CenturyLink Fiber network, our top pick for you would be the powerful Netgear Nighthawk R8000P. To conclude, we would say it is very important to purchase a router that fulfills all your requirements and does not put any unnecessary financial burden due to some valueless features.